Smile Lab’s goal is to preserve your natural smile but sometimes a tooth is beyond repair and the best solution for your health is to remove it. From overcrowded wisdom teeth to severely decayed teeth, we provide our patients with safe, emphatic and pain-free tooth extractions. We know how important your teeth are not just for your appearance but your overall health, that is why once your tooth extraction has been successfully completed, we can help find you the perfect solution to replace your missing tooth and have you back smiling!
The reasons for a tooth extraction can vary, but this solution is used only when the tooth cannot be saved or restored with another treatment. Tooth extraction may be necessary if:
- Decay or infection has reached the surrounding tissue and inside of the tooth
- Trauma or injury – a severely broken, chipped or cracked tooth may have to be fully removed
- Overcrowding – there are too many teeth in one area of the mouth
Tooth extractions can be broken up into two categories:
- Simple Extraction – This can be the removal of a tooth that is easily visible and needs to be extracted due to damage or decay. The dentist will numb the area and loosen the tooth (if it needs to be loosened) with a dental instrument called an elevator before removing it with forceps. A simple extraction is typically done within one visit.
- Surgical Extraction – This may take more than one visit and is slightly more complex. This type of surgery is typical with teeth that may have been broken or have not erupted, such as wisdom teeth. The dentist may have to make an incision in the gum line and extract the remaining or hidden tooth.
Our dentist Dr. Waise Ebrahimi is on hand to help you with any questions you may have on tooth extraction. Make an appointment with our New York, NY clinic today!
Wisdom Teeth Extractions
Wisdom teeth are a set of top and bottom molars appearing in the back of your mouth, typically appearing in your late teens or early twenties. This late development means they often do not have room to grow (erupt) out of the gum, creating painful impaction. If they do erupt from the gum, there is often no space for them, leading to overcrowding. Millions of people every year have to have their wisdom teeth extracted so you are not alone!
At our New York, NY clinic, Dr. Waise Ebrahimi will assess the type of impaction you are facing, looking at four possible categories: erupted, partially erupted, partial bony impaction and complete bony impaction. Your treatment will be based on how the tooth has erupted. For those who need extraction, the surgery is straightforward and quick, typically lasting 45 minutes. We have a variety of pain relief and sedation methods to suit the most anxious of patients and we will be on hand to guide you through every step of the procedure. Contact Smile Lab today for more information on wisdom teeth extraction.